Baltimore Museum of Art

Upon visiting the Baltimore Museum of Art this past week, a lot of the artwork that I observed sparked my interest. However, 3 pieces in particular caused me to go back and look deeper at the piece. The first one, and the one that I looked at the longest would be Washerwomen by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. The composition of this piece at first glance looked to me like the Golden Triangle, going from the standing woman to the two women kneeling by the water and then to the young child. The more I looked at the painting, I noticed that the Rule of Thirds could also apply going both horizontally and vertically. I also noticed some implied lines in this, one being the outline of the water. I was drawn to this piece first by the colors. In the photo, the colors are not as vibrant and pigmented as in real life, however I liked the neutral and pastel colors incorporated. I also like the way the women are painted, they all look very soft and gentile.
 
The second piece that I found to be interesting would be The Earth and the Air by Yves Tanguy. I was drawn to this piece again by the colors at first. The bright blue sky was very eye-catching and it takes up a large portion of the painting. Tanguy used a lot of geometric shapes in this piece and a great deal of solid colors. It was almost as if he was trying to portray a dream and the small objects looked almost like children's toys which I found to be interesting and also did not fully understand. The size of the other objects is definitely a key aspect in this piece however I am not sure what that may be. Perhaps Tanguy was trying to coney the message that in the entire scheme of the universe, human beings are a minuscule fragment. The composition of this I found to be quite clear upon looking. I found that the Rule of Thirds greatly applies to this horizontally, yet I also see a great deal of L lines when looking between the numerous geometric shapes.
 
The final piece that I found to be interesting during the trip to the Baltimore Museum of Art would be the painting Poplars on a River Bank by Alfred Sisley. I just found this piece to be very calming when I was looking at it. I enjoyed the colors and I found it cool how almost every brush stroke could be seen when looking at this painting. It is clear that a great deal of time and effort went into the making of this and every brush stroke was very precise and thought out. The composition of this I found to be the Rule of Thirds, especially going horizontally when looking at the sky, then the line of trees and then the landscape under the trees. I found myself looking horizontally at all the trees but the two in the middle caught my attention first. I enjoyed this painting because I got a calming and relaxed feeling looking at the setting and the colors.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jerry Saltz

Colors- Podcast

Postmodernism